MY WI-FI DIRECT EXPERIENCE


Wi-Fi Direct finally sounds ubiquitous as different companies have it on offer in their latest versions of mobile phones or other devices available in the market. The need to wirelessly transfer data to nearby devices received an impetus around 1998 with the invention of Bluetooth, which is, without doubt, awesome for connecting peripherals to a computer, But consumers wanted a faster transfer of files between devices, and it was perhaps in 2000 when we saw the debut of another technological innovation. Popularly called Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi), it paved the way for W-Fi Direct, which was first commercially put into practice by Intel. Even today, it continues to inch closer to being called matured up with Google supporting it, followed by big companies like Blackberry, Microsoft in the latest offerings of Windows on personal computers, and others.

THE WAY WI­FI DIRECT WORKS:
Theoretically supposed to be a standard, Wi-Fi Direct allows different types of devices with support of Wi-Fi Direct to communicate with each other using the same Wi-Fi technology as Wi-Fi enabled devices use to communicate with wireless routers. A Wi-Fi Direct device can function as an access point, and other Wi-Fi enabled devices can connect to it directly, without even requiring any additional hardware. One device discovers the others in the way it discovers a wireless network. Only one the devices has to be compatible with Wi-Fi Direct while the other devices get connected to it via regular Wi-Fi with the result that the setup is quite simple, but a higher rate of data transfer and a longer range, measuring some hundred feet, compared with that of Bluetooth with its interoperable range of thirty feet.

THE WI­FI SETUP I HAVE:
As for my Wi-Fi setup I have an HP Deskjet3545e All-in-one printer with its inbuilt supports of Wireless Direct and Wi-Fi Direct, a Samsung Galaxy J7 smartphone that includes Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Direct both in terms of interoperability, an all-in-one Desktop PC with wireless LAN. My plan to make them communicate with each other wirelessly came alive with some applications I was able to download only after HP had asked me for my Email ID which they were to reach. I was struggling along despite the initial difficulty I had with the operation of ‘HP e Print ‘when suddenly I saw my printer began printing a web page I had saved on the Galaxy J7. I was amazed but the photocopy came out well executed and fast. I am now conversant with its operation as you can say practice makes perfect. You have four outstanding features with HP e Print: Photos, Files, Web and E mail to manage your documents and photos or do even more. Days after I downloaded ‘All-in-One Remote’, another application by HP. The first time I opened this I was surprised to see this comprising four options; Print/Share, Scan, Document, and Supplies Info. The period of the next few days was one of contentment for me as it put me in a position of wireless wonder. I can now select web pages or other documents or save them on the Galaxy J7 and print them to my HP Deskjet; scan photos and documents to my phone; check the level of consumables in the printer; or have all the photos printed out. As for the All-in-One Desktop I had to install the software I was given free in the box which contained the printer, before my computer had access to the printer. Now I put the printer on the shelf under my PC in the glass cabinet without my setup being messed up by a clutter of wires connecting them for a hassle free experience of Wi-Fi ease. In addition to this the wireless keyboard and the wireless mouse I use contribute a lot to make the comfort twice as much. Above given is the image of the devices I use at home. I sometimes go outdoors with the phone in my hand, strolling about in the garden or taking several paces forward down the track in front of our house and if I see something outstanding happening around (A magpie is chirping, a dove pecking at a straw or local boys dancing to the tune of a Hindi song about a pandal.) I snap the moment I like using the camera phone with its aperture value measures F 1.9 and make my own copies of photos almost immediately as the J7 gets connected to the photo smart HP3545,that I left switched on in my room, in seven seconds or less.  With the printer blinking blue in my reading room, I can scan documents or even old photographs to my phone while lying relaxed on the sofa at a distance in the veranda and one or two boys playing in the passage between them. You are now free to share those images you have scanned with your friends or relatives via WhatsApp. The All-in-One Lenovo Desktop PC usually takes a bit longer to connect to the printer, but the result is the same; I can have my documents or pictures printed out, scan documents to the computer, check ink status wirelessly without the assistance of a router. But the way the slim smartphone communicates with the printer holds a fascination for me. One thing I must remind you now is wireless Direct and Wi-Fi Direct aren’t interchangeable words. There are only a few dissimilarities in the ways we see them working in the real world. You, however, must not bother as the ink-efficient All-in-One printer includes them both.

CONCLUSION:
The postulate that Wi-Fi Direct helps multiple types of devices communicate with each other without them having to be connected to a wireless network has not yet been realized. There is no such easy way of file sharing between the android phone and the windows personal computer. But you still have a lot more options available to make use of; I have already used Airdroid, SHAREit and Xender, each of them uses Wi-Fi hotspot to wirelessly connect the Samsung Galaxy J7 to my desktop compter. I should suggest using Xender as it is simple but fast. Make sure your desktop has WirelessLAN. Wi-Fi Direct is still a promising feature . I call the devices I have ‘Maestros at work’. Now take out your smartphone, get a good shot of anything you like, copy something from the newspaper or write a document and see your loves and figments of imagination get printed out in your presence, of course at the sacrifice of some amount of ink, but you are sure to feel like a mighty necromancer who can command the services of all the supernatural figures he has conjured up with the magic wand in hand.                                                                             

Comments